So instead of working on my essay on DVD piracy last night, I watched 2 hours more from La Belle Noiseuse. One thing about Emmanuelle Béart immediately left an impression: how tender her voice sounded. Evidently, this movie was made 12 years before Histoire de Marie et Julien, so 12 extra years of smoking actually deepened her voice?
Then I also came to a realization regarding the film's aspect ratio. It simply has to be in academic (1.30:1 in this case) to ensure, during the painting scenes, that the painter stands outside of the frame, since he evidently is not Michel Piccoli. If you check the credits you'll see a different actor's name for "the painter's hand." Of course one can never assume that Piccoli could become a master painter just for this movie.
As for Jane Birkin, she just looks emaciated. I need to shake off her image the next time I listen to her songs.
I am glad I didn't sell the DVD 2 years ago because I got upset with the painting scenes. It's now one of my favorite movies, even though I still have 40 more minutes to watch. Rivette is fast becoming one of my 5 favorite filmmakers. Whether this has to do with my infatuation with Emmanuelle Béart, God knows.
In any case, let's wish Rivette a good time for his 79th birthday.
No comments:
Post a Comment