So, have I finally found the time to write? Or perhaps I have finally found the drive and courage to write in a public space. In any case, there will be little melodrama, certainly no plead for pity, and hopefully enough emotional truth.
Inspired by Darren's 2007 list for his favorite 20 films, I am composing mine as a stroke for a fresh canvas. Supposedly this is going to be a great year, in any case better than last.
I love making lists, but each one of them takes me an awful amount of time. The one-film-per-director rule needs to be imposed, otherwise you will see lots of Tarkovsky (Mirror, Nostalghia, Andrei Rublev, Sacrifice), Soderbergh (The Limey, Traffic, Sex, Lies, and Videotape), Pasolini (Porcile, Teorema, Decameron, Arabian Nights), Antonioni (L'Avventura, The Passenger, La Notte) just to name a few.
It is crazy that my list does not include anything from the 30's, 40's, and 50's. The films I love from these periods are simply excluded due to the constraint of rules and hierarchy.
1. Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979)
2. Solaris (Steven Soderbergh, 2002)
3. Blowup (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1966)
4. Uzak (Nuri Bilge Ceylan, 2002)
5. Last Tango in Paris (Bernardo Bertolucci, 1972)
6. Eyes Wide Shut (Stanley Kubrick, 1999)
7. Histoire de Marie et Julien (Jacques Rivette, 2003)
8. Ankur (Shyam Benegal, 1974)
9. L'Intrus (Claire Denis, 2004)
10. Taste of Cherry (Abbas Kiarostami, 1997)
11. Le Fils (Jean-Pierre et Luc Dardenne, 2002)
12. Crash (David Cronenberg, 1996)
13. Charulata (Satyajit Ray, 1964)
14. The Birds (Alfred Hitchcock, 1963)
15. Caché (Michael Haneke, 2005)
16. Annie Hall (Woody Allen, 1977)
17. Pierrot le Fou (Jean-Luc Godard, 1965)
18. L'Argent (Robert Bresson, 1983)
19. Straw Dogs (Sam Peckinpah, 1971)
20. Trois Coleurs: Bleu (Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1993)
2 comments:
hi. re: your lists. you should visit www.listography.com to share & archive your lists...seems like you might like it!
Crazy. I don't get e-mail notifications for the comments. I just turned that on. Which means. The system will notify me about my own comment. This one. Haha.
Thanks for the attention, Les Teens staff member. As much as I like my lists, they are for a limited audience. I doubt people who put The Dukes of Hasard on their lists would appreciate lists that contain Mayalali films.
Post a Comment