Monday, March 12, 2007

Out 1: Spectre

Congratulations to myself for having endured one of the most excruciating cinematic experiences: a 255-minute straight screening (save for a "1-minute" intermission) of a 16 mm film in one of the worst theatres in Vancouver. Did I have fun? Definitely not. Will I cherish this experience? Maybe. Do I plan to see Spectre again? Positive! But only on TV, s'il vous plait.

Nevertheless, I need time for Out 1 to grow on me, and it's already growing. I need to read more articles and understand why its pantheon status is such an incontestable fact. Spectre, unlike Noli me Tangere's monstrously extended sequences, builds its narrative on multiple threads. In many ways, this approach is more conventional (especially for an ensemble piece), although it hardly helps the audience to follow the story. Frankly, most of the time I had no idea what was going on. It was not until 2 hours later that I realized that there were actually two theatre troupes. Shame on me! On the other hand, the actresses are really pretty, especially Juliet Berto, who got me incredibly excited. That hasn't happened in a theatre for a long time.

Here is J. Hoberman's review, including a heart-throbbing screen shot of Juliet Berto's cute and hopelessly dumb thief girl.

EDIT: I found a better picture in a very informative and resourceful article. Good future reference.

The subtitles were really bad. In addition to frequent omission of several sentences, most of the translation was overly simplified, sometimes to some ridiculous degree. Here are some examples that even non-French speakers could find unsatisfying:

Algérie - Africa
champagne - wine
hasard - hazard

I am really dropping dead. Stomach rumbling. Hips hurting (why?) And have to wake up in five hours. Merde.

No comments: