Sunday, April 10, 2011

474 steps

Thanks to my friend's hearty suggestion last year, my hair has become the longest it has ever been. Regardless of the occasional necessity to wash it twice a day, the overall experience is positive. I no longer need to struggle with presentation, as the hair looks borderline presentable if I just let it dry without doing anything. As I said once, it's way more relaxing to let hair style itself. If it looks bad, then it's because of the haircut rather than my incompetence at preening myself.

A few days ago I had the utmost pleasure of watching sunset at a beach with someone I most enjoy watching sunsets with. As we were leaving, we decided to count the number of steps between the beach area and the outside world. I discovered that I not only sucked at counting but also had the terrible tendency to whisper the numbers out loud. Having put more thoughts into it, I decided to convince myself that counting numbers and remembering exact dates use completely different parts of the brain.


Yesterday, I found myself driving with my friend towards the border. It was a little trip that would never have happened if I hadn't taken forever getting to her place, if I hadn't decided to take highway 91, and if a particular text chat didn't arrive just in time before a particular highway exit. I felt enveloped in warmth, gratitude, and happy recollection of two of the very, very best days in my life. Yesterday, I felt just as happy and as liberated as ever.

Today, I chatted with an old friend with whom I haven't been in touch lately. One of his friends is filing a restraining order against her husband, who has "lost it" after she asked for divorce and at the same time admitted that she had been cheating on him for the past 3 years. Apparently, the husband is a "nice guy just like me," as my friend put it. He thought I would have lost it too if I were involved in a similar situation.

"You don't like anything anymore these days," he said. "You must be either depressed, or happy."
"Somewhere in between," I responded.

He remarked that it's the best place to be. Whether that is true, I doubt it, but one thing I am sure is that the bear will always be urs in Romanian and ours in French.

1 comment:

Andreea said...

You're so random sometimes :)