Monday, April 2, 2007

Dreams, Rivette, and Inês de Medeiros

Recently I keep having dreams that involve disposals of human bodies, or body parts.

For instance, this morning, I remember sitting at a table with Mr. Cliff from one of my classes. I cannot remember what we were talking about, but I had a pot boiling in front of me. When the temperature was right, Mr. Cliff signaled me to proceed. Then I realized that I was holding onto the long black hair of a human head. I think it looked like it came from an Asian girl. Mr. Cliff looked at me assuredly, so I opened the cover of the boiling pot and threw the head inside.

And then later, the perspective switched. I became the spectator of a murder mystery (although I still felt bad for taking part in it). The head I boiled actually wasn't the head of the murdered victim. Whose head was it then? I had no idea. The real head, apparently, was hidden somewhere in the sewers. The mother and sister of the murdered girl became worried so they took initiative to search for the missing family member. They poured some weird white powder into two manholes, and the next day the head popped up from one of them. Very soon two suspects were arrested. I think they were Korean. They even looked like the two cops from Memories of Murder.

Tonight, I finally saw La Bande des quatre, and just as I imagined, the movie is a masterpiece - although one completely different from what I expected. I was kind of expecting a crowd-pleaser, a cross-over between Haut bas fragile and Va savoir, but La Bande des quatre is a beast of its own, almost a remake of Paris nous appartient - only miles better. Right now I have too much on my mind to ponder. I shall leave my juvenile comments till after the exam. All I have to report at this stage is that I am extremely satisfied with the 3 Rivette I've seen since the last ones: La Bande des quatre, Haut bas fragile, and to a lesser extent Secret défense.

Inês de Medeiros, however, is soooooooo cute. I want to see Casa de Lava, now!!! I can't wait for the Pedro Costa retrospective.

No comments: